Earlier on in the month, I spoke about joining two year-long projects. One involved doing a little bit of embroidery every day, and this is the other one.
It's called Sew My Style, and the wizardly organizers have chosen one indie pattern a month to make (you get a discount on the patterns) and by the end of the year, hopefully you have a coordinated wardrobe. We shall see about the second part.
The pattern for January is the Toaster Sweater by Sew House 7.
I happened to order it in November, so that was a plus. Also, I love it. It's super cozy and awesome. I have made several versions, and here they are.
I started off with some Sherpa fleece from the deep stash. It's a lovely medium blue, and super soft on one side, and a flat knit on the other.
I have worn this version so much (like once a week since I first made it, at least) that it's already stained. I didn't realize that until these pictures, since the stain is below where I can see ;).
Things I love about this pattern: super cozy collar, nice wide hem band, super long sleeves, that fold up and out of the way if need be.
Let's move on to version 2, which isn't stained.
It's made out of a sweater knit/ fleece-y fabric from my local fabric store. It's a little drapey, so a little more flattering perhaps, but it doesn't get worn as much as version 1.
I also love that these sweaters are super fast - 2 hours from start to finish including cutting out.
In looking at the picture above, I probably should have done a full bust adjustment (it's riding up in the center) but these are sweatshirt-y layers and I can't be bothered.
Then there is version 3, which was made more recently (like in the month of January) and which I am a little on the fence about for a multitude of reasons.
This fabric is simultaneously lighter and stiffer than the other two, so it stands on it's own a little more. It's not as cozy either. Also, in my head it was way cooler than it ended up being. The collar and cuffs are made from the wrong side of the fabric, which is proving to pill a little as well. In general then, not as much fun as I had hoped.
It occurred to me last week that I hadn't made View 2 of the pattern, which is what the sew-along was actually focused on. Since they are so easy to sew, I decided to up my game a bit with some block printing.
This version also has side vents, with no band.
The fabric for this version is a French terry that's been in the cupboard for awhile.
I carved a simple stamp and used some acrylic paint that's been hanging around for awhile. I couldn't find my brayer, so used a brush to smooth paint on a flat surface, and ended up with the textured effect, which I love.
The sleeves on all of these are delightfully long on me. I have long arms and legs for my height, so I spent a lot of time in things that were a titch too short when I was growing up. So now everything is more than a titch too long, and it's awesome.
I'm not sure if I like this view as much as the first one. The neckline is a bit fussy, and the whole thing feels a little off. I do like it though. Yesterday, when I finished it, I cut out a grey knit dress to wear underneath, which is a sign that it's going to stick around for a while, if nothing else.
So there's the January installment of Sew My Style. Next month is the Saunio Cardigan by Named which seems like a good canvas for some embellishment. Hmmmm.